Re: Documentation of server configuration - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Documentation of server configuration
Date
List pgsql-docs
Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 04:17:26PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
>> I thought runtime-config was supposed to be ordered in the same order as the
>> default postgresql.conf ?

> To what end?  A lot of people may want to look up parameters without
> necessarily looking at postgresql.conf.

There was a great deal of effort put into categorizing the runtime
parameters just a release or two back.  Both runtime.sgml and the
postgresql.conf sample file follow that categorization.

I'm not sure if Peter is saying he doesn't like the current
categorization, or that he doesn't believe in the idea at all.
But I don't think "one big list" will fly.

            regards, tom lane