Re: BUG #17753: pg_dump --if-exists bug - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17753: pg_dump --if-exists bug
Date
List pgsql-bugs
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 at 22:31, PG Bug reporting form
> <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> Running pg_dump with the options "--section=pre-data --no-owner
>> --no-privileges --no-subscriptions --no-publications --clean --if-exists
>> --file=/Users/ju5tinz/Dev/pg_pass_test/pre_data.sql" prints the warning:
>> pg_dump: warning: could not find where to insert IF EXISTS in statement "--
>> *not* dropping schema, since initdb creates it
>> "

> Are you able to share the full warning message including the statement?

Noting that that string is only associated with the public schema,
I tried dumping a DB in which the public schema had been dropped
--- no dice --- and then recreated --- and then it reproduces!
Apparently, a schema that's named "public" but isn't the original
one is confusing something somewhere, but I'm not immediately
seeing where.

            regards, tom lane