Re: A minor bug in the doc of "SQL Functions Returning Sets" in xfunc.sgml. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A minor bug in the doc of "SQL Functions Returning Sets" in xfunc.sgml.
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 7:10 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> Not sure that this is worth changing.  The examples work OK when taken
>> in isolation or are able to demonstrate the point they want to show.
>> In short, not all these queries are here to be compatible with the
>> contents in the same area.  See for example the case of the "nodes"
>> table on the same page, created nowhere.  "tab" is just a more generic
>> table name that's more spread.

> Clearly this page repeatedly expects tab.x to exist; and for these queries
> to be executable.  This seems like the least invasive way to make that
> expectation reality.

I'm with Michael here.  Only in the tutorial do we expect there to be
a continuing thread of commands that you can just copy-and-paste and
expect to work.  I do not think it's reasonable to extend that policy
to the rest of the manual: in other places, there are too many
distinct topics under consideration and too much reason to make
localized changes.

            regards, tom lane