Linux Labs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nick Barr
Subject Linux Labs
Date
List pgsql-general
Heya,

Does anyone have any experience of Linux Labs "Clusgres" (A Linux
cluster hosting a PostgreSQL database server)? It seems to be a shared
memory architecture for a clutser of linux boxes which as far as
understand should be ok for PG. We are currently considering hardware
upgrades and are either considering a cluster of some form or a meatier
box to replace our current main DB. The meaty box would more than likely
be a Quad Opteron with something like 32Gb or RAM. For the same price we
can also get a 5 node dual Xeon cluster based around Clusgres. Just
wondered if anyone had any experience? We are specifically interested if
any of you guys (or gals) have any experience of this using a SAN.

FYI, we are currently running on a dual PIII 1.4GHz, 2Gb RAM, 4x10k 73Gb
RAID 5 on a 1Gb FC SAN using RH 7.3/9 and PG 7.3. This currently is
hosting a 2Gb database which looks as if it might grow a lot in the next
year or two. Biggest table is a PostGIS table with about 72 million
rows, which will probably at least double. This setup performs
adequately at the moment, but it looks as if a significant amount of
meney is around the corner, which is always nice ;-).

We are of course open to other suggestions if anyone has any. Budget
might be in the region of £15k ($30k) and I might be able to wangle up
to max of £30k ($60k) if we are lucky. I myself am quite interested in
going along some form of 64bit route just to open up the memory space,
and Opteron seems almost ideal performance/price wise. Any information
anyone has about hardware setups would be great.

More info:
http://www.linuxlabs.com/clusgres.html

Cheers,

Nick