Re: log_line_info - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: log_line_info
Date
List pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>Attached is a patch for tagging log lines produced by backends. It is
>>not quite ready for application - this is for people to look over and
>>play with.
>>
>>For my testing I used the following settings:
>>
>>log_connections = true
>>log_disconnections = true
>>log_line_info = '%T [%P] %U@%D(%C:%S) %I line:%L '
>>log_statement = true
>>log_hostname = true
>>log_source_port = true
>>

>>Comments welcome
>>
>>(Rod Taylor has suggested adding in escapes for remote host and remote
>>port. This can be done easily enough - I want to call a halt at some
>>stage and get the basics of this in. Extending it will then be easy).
>>  #log_disconnections = false
>>  #log_duration = false
>>  #log_pid = false
>>+ #log_line_info = ''         # e.g. '<%U%%%D> '
>>+                             #  %U=username %D=databasename %C=sessionid
>>+                         #  %P=PID %T=timestamp %L=session line number
>>+                             #  %S=session start timestamp %I=command tag
>>+                             #  %%=%
>>  #log_statement = false
>>

>Nice.  Only two comments --- does this mean we should remove log_pid?
>Seems it is now duplicate functionality.  Is that the only duplication?
>Also, I don't see any documention changes in the patch, but I assume you
>will work on that before final.

I will do docs. We could sensibly get rid of log_pid and log_timestamp
with my latest patch. I would also suggest getting rid of
log_source_port, since there really isn't any reason *not* to log the
source port. Do you want me to make those changes in my patch? Or I can
leave them for now and we can get rid of them when everyone is happy.

cheers

andrew