Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro
Date
Re: Add AlmaLinux as Specifically Supported Distro  (Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-www
Jonathan Wright <jonathan@almalinux.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 11:53 AM Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:
>> I think there would be a concern that if a community package doesn't work
>> on Alma, for whatever reason, we're implying that we will provide support
>> in some way.  If we qualify it too much, it becomes "Alma exists" rather
>> than useful information for the downloader.

> Do you really want to exclude a large portion of the RHEL-clone userbase
> though?  Oracle Linux is listed yet Alma has a much larger user base so I
> don't really understand the argument here.

I don't know the relative sizes of the user bases, but I think it would
be fair to have the download page list only the distro(s) Devrim actually
tests on, and then say something like "The RHEL packages should work on
other binary-compatible RHEL clone distros, but we don't test that".

            regards, tom lane