Re: How to optimize monstrous query, sorts instead of using index - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to optimize monstrous query, sorts instead of using index
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Michael Mattox" <michael.mattox@verideon.com> writes:
> It's much slower but I appreciate you taking the time to try.  I'm pretty
> new to SQL so I must admin this query is very confusing for me.  I'm using
> Java Data Objects (JDO, an O/R mapping framework) but the implementation I'm
> using (Kodo) isn't smart enough to do all the joins efficiently, which is
> why I had to rewrite this query by hand.

It wasn't till I read that :-( that I noticed that you were doing nested
left joins.  Fooling with the join order may be your best route to a
solution --- have you read
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=explicit-joins.html

            regards, tom lane