Re: cache whole data in RAM - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: cache whole data in RAM
Date
List pgsql-performance
David Teran wrote:
> we are trying to speed up a database which has about 3 GB of data. The
> server has 8 GB RAM and we wonder how we can ensure that the whole DB is
> read into RAM. We hope that this will speed up some queries.

Neither the DBa or postgresql has to do anything about it. Usually OS caches the
data  in it's buffer cache. That is certainly true for linux and freeBSD does
that. Most of the unices certainly do. To my knowledge linux is most aggresive
one at that..(Rather over aggressive..)

Make sure that you size effective cache size correctly. It helps postgresql
planner at times..

  HTH

  Shridhar