Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date
Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-general
"Leif B. Kristensen" <leif@solumslekt.org> writes:
> On Wednesday 26. March 2008, Ron Mayer wrote:
>> I'd prefer a "pg" program that took as arguments
>> the command.  So you'd have "pg createdb" instead
>> of "pg_createdb".

> I'll second that. It would be much easier on the brain, as you might
> issue a "pg --help" if you don't remember the exact syntax or even the
> name of each command.

I like this too.  It'd be considerably more work than the currently
proposed patch, though, since we'd have to meld the currently
separate programs into one executable.

One fairly serious objection is that doing so would eliminate the
current distinction between client-side and server-side applications,
at least if we wanted to fold both sets into one "pg" executable.
So a client-only install would be carrying some baggage in the form
of code that's useless if the server isn't local.

If we are OK with restricting the scope of the "pg" program to
client-side functionality, then there's no problem.

            regards, tom lane