Re: Leftover processes on shutdown - Debian+JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chad R. Larson
Subject Re: Leftover processes on shutdown - Debian+JDBC
Date
Re: Leftover processes on shutdown - Debian+JDBC
List pgsql-admin
At 08:25 AM 8/13/02 , Robert M. Meyer wrote:
>I had the same problem.  I rewrote my shutdown script to call 'pg_ctl -m
>immediate'.  So far, I haven't seen any damage because of it and we always
>restart tomcat at some point in the middle of the night, anyway.

We're running PostgreSQL as a backend to a J2SE server (with Macromedia
JRun instead of Tomcat).  When we converted our Sun Enterprise servers into
a cluster (Veritas VCS) we had similar problems.  We were using the "fast"
option on a shutdown, but switchover in the cluster would hang until we
changed the "fast" to "immediate".  We'd prefer "fast", but it does not
seem to work exactly as documented.

Solaris 2.6, PostgreSQL 7.1.2, VCS 1.1.

         -crl
--