Re: Automated database backups and authentication - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chad R. Larson
Subject Re: Automated database backups and authentication
Date
List pgsql-admin
At 02:34 PM 8/6/02 , Artur Pietruk wrote:
>I think, that in your setup it would be better to do crypt=-auth and:
>- use PGPASSWORD environment variable, just set it before you execute
>pg_dumpall.

The problem with that is most UNIX systems are able to display the contents
of the environment of a process.  Some make it easier than others (on BSD
systems, it is as easy as a switch on "ps") but most can do it.

That was (I believe) the reason that the variable was going away in 7.3,
because it is a security hole.

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com