Re: Assertion failure in walreceiver - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Assertion failure in walreceiver
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> I have one question. Do we support starting an archive recovery and
>> standby server from a cold backup (not a base backup taken by online
>> backup)? Though I think they would work and be very useful, I'm not
>> sure they are safe.
>
> I don't see why not. We support that in PITR, streaming replication is
> just another way of getting the logs to the server.

I thought that because, AFAIK, there is no document about initial startup
of PITR from a cold backup. But I'd be happy if it's supported. After
failover happens, previous primary server might be able to become standby
from its old data without taking a new backup from new primary.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center