Re: Streaming Rep - 2-phase backups and reducing time to full replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Streaming Rep - 2-phase backups and reducing time to full replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> 9. Create a recovery command file in the standby server with parameters
> required for streaming replication.
>
> 7. (a) Make a base backup of minimal essential files from primary
> server, load this data onto the standby.
>
> 10. Start postgres in the standby server. It will start streaming
> replication.
>
> 7. (b) Continue with second phase of base backup, copying all remaining
> files, ending with pg_stop_backup()

This manual procedure seems to be more complicated for me than just
using restore_command which retrieves the WAL files from the master's
archival area. Supposing that we adopt this idea, we should implement
an automatic replication of a base backup at the same time, to prevent
the users from doing the complicated two-phase-backup?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center