Re: postmaster recovery and automatic restart suppression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: postmaster recovery and automatic restart suppression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Gregory Stark<stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On the other hand, the primary postgres might *not* restart automatically.
>> So, it's difficult for clusterware to choose whether to do failover when it
>> detects the death of the primary postgres, I think.
>

> I think the accepted way to handle this kind of situation is called STONITH --
> "Shoot The Other Node In The Head".
>
> You need some way when the cluster software decides to initiate failover to
> ensure that the first node *cannot* come back up. That could mean shutting the
> power to it at the PDU or disabling its network connection at the switch, or
> various other options.

Yes, I understand that STONITH is a safe solution for split-brain. But,
since some special equipment like PDU must probably be prepared,
I think that some people (including me) want another reasonable way.

The proposed feature is not perfect solution, but is a convenient way
to prevent one of split-brain situations.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center