Re: postmaster recovery and automatic restart suppression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: postmaster recovery and automatic restart suppression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)
<harald.kolb@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in case of a serious failure of a backend or an auxiliary process the
> postmaster performs a crash recovery and restarts the db automatically.
>
> Is there a possibility to deactivate the restart and to force the postmaster
> to simply exit at the end ?

Good point. I also think that this makes a handling of failover
more complicated. In other words, clusterware cannot determine
whether to do failover when it detects the death of the primary
postgres. A wrong decision might cause split brain syndrome.

How about new GUC parameter to determine whether to restart
postmaster automatically when it fails abnormally? This would
be useful for various failover system.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao