Re: How to find business partners from PostgreSQL communities? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to find business partners from PostgreSQL communities?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/30/2016 02:15 AM, CN wrote:
> I have a business plan for my product and services both developed on top
> of PostgreSQL. I am looking for partners to form a start-up to work on
> these product and services.
>
> My ideal candidates are PostgreSQL endorsers. In addition, I hope the
> technical details in my plan be exposed  during the discussions in
> primitive stages as few as possible to potential competitors, non
> PostgreSQL endorsers in particular.
>
> As most predecessors did, I feel my idea unprecedented. However, I also
> understand that these days many people, including myself in most cases,
> tend to interpret terminologies like "business plan", "idea",
> "start-up", "cloud", "big data", etc. into "propaganda", "spam", or
> worse - "scam". This is why I not only draft the following targets to
> which I might send my solicitations, but also attach obvious concerns to
> them:
>
> - PostgreSQL mailing lists
>   concerns:
>     (a) Will my messages deemed as spam or harassment?
>     (b) Which mailing list is appropriate for my messages if it really
>     is? "-jobs" is definitely inappropriate because my pocket is empty
>     and I am unable to hire anyone.

Assuming you actually have something to announce the only appropriate
list I can think of is --announce. Elsewhere would be deemed spam, in my
opinion.

> Above all, the last result I want to get from my inquiries is *silence*.

Well you are basically 'cold calling' people, so I would expect there
would be silence for the most part.

> EnterpriseDB and Xtuple are two successful examples I heard of.
> Hopefully I will be able to follow their pattens of success.  I wonder
> how they achieved them, such as:
>
> - How did those initiators find and attract in the first place those
> individuals who are willing to discuss their grreat plans?
> - How did they discuss their plans without fearing too many of their
> sensitive plan details exposed before their companies were formed?
>
> I need your enlightenment! What routes are the least offensive, yet most
> effective, efficient, and appropriate ones for me to take to have my
> awesome or yet another awful "idea" be delivered to those targeted
> PostgreSQL endorsers?

Deliver a working prototype of an idea that other folks can look at.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com