Retaining execution plans between connections? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From James Russell
Subject Retaining execution plans between connections?
Date
Re: Retaining execution plans between connections?  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi there,

I am running a website where each page connects to the DB to retrieve and write information. Each page load uses a separate connection (rather than just sharing one as is the common case) because I use a lot of transactions.

I am looking to speed up performance, and since each page executes a static set of queries where only the parameters change, I was hoping to take advantage of stored procedures since I read that PostgreSQL's caches the execution plans used inside stored procedures.

However, the documentation states that this execution plan caching is done on a per-connection basis. If each page uses a separate connection, I can get no performance benefit between pages.

In other words, there's no benefit to me in putting a one-shot query that is basically the same for every page (e.g. "SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_name='<username>'") inside a stored proc, since the generated execution plan will be thrown away once the connection is dropped.

Has anyone found a way around this limitation? As I said, I can't share the DB connection between pages (unless someone knows of a way to do this and still retain a level of separation between pages that use the same DB connection).

Many thanks,

James