Re: Recommended Reading List (was Re: [GENERAL] - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alex Satrapa
Subject Re: Recommended Reading List (was Re: [GENERAL]
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:
> one thing I noticed about your list, it focuses a lot on sql. IMO this is a
> mistake, try to put more focus on relational theory, something that sql wont
> teach you.

>>9) Alex Kiregel & Boris M. Trukhnov, "SQL Bible", April 2003, ISBN:
>>0764525840

In that case, I'll try to find a copy of this book to review - it covers
a lot more than just SQL.

Then here's a list of "relational data model" hits at Barnes and Noble,
that aren't reviewed on the PostgreSQL site already:

1) Terry Halpin & T. A. Halpin, "Information Modeling and Relational
Databases: From Conceptual Analysis to Logical Design", April 2001,
ISBN: 1558606726

2) Isolina Salgado, "Relational Database Design: A Practical Approach",
  September 1999, ISBN: 0758035586

3) Jan L. Harrington, "Relational Database Design Clearly Explained",
May 2002, ISBN: 1558608206

 From the reviews I've read on the B&N site, (3) is the one I'll
probably start with. I'm amazed by the price difference between the USA
($US40 at B&N) and Australia ($AU101 at Dymocks)... here we go on the
consumer-driven extinction of Australian bookshops...

Alex Satrapa
Lintelsys