Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News-5.0.x.html
>
> Does this concern anyone.

Well from one perspective MySQL is still playing catch up. While they
are adding
features that they still don't have stable OR that are labelled "Basic
Support", PostgreSQL
has had mature support for a long time.

> What I think is PostgreSQL would have less USP's (Uniqe Selling Points
> though we dont sell) now.

Yes and know. USP is great, but we can argue (and will be able to for a
LONG LONG TIME) that,
"Sure mySQL can do that... sort of."

> What do you think yes we PostgreSQL users need some introspection.

It is never good to be placid in the industry but I think you will
continue to see PostgreSQL growth.
I get phone calls weekly from people who have come to realize that MySQL
is just a toy.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards,
> Vishal Kashyap.

Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC - S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming, shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com