Re: Truncation on restore - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrew Kelly
Subject Re: Truncation on restore
Date
List pgsql-novice

greg@turnstep.com wrote:

> > Can I pass the value for NAMEDATALEN to the configure
> > sript (or use a spec file in an rpm build from src), or
> > do I have to make the change in postgres_ext.h?
>
> For what it's worth, a configurable option has been proposed
> before, but rejected for client reasons. You probably have
> to compile yourself, I doubt there is a rpm option.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2001-05/msg00137.php

Yeah, Tom Lane told me the deal a few days ago. Thanks for
the link to the patch discussion, it's good to have the
background.

I changed the value of NAMEDATALEN in a source package
for 7.2.1 and compiled a quick test server, and with that little
beastie the dump restored cleanly.
I wonder what else they've hacked at and kept quiet about.

By the way, what's the value of NAMEDATALEN in the
current release?

Andy