Re: IDENT and IPv6 (was Re: [GENERAL] pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: IDENT and IPv6 (was Re: [GENERAL] pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Kurt Roeckx wrote:

>On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 01:30:02PM -0600, Seum-Lim Gan wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>The ident server we currently use is pidentd 3.0.16
>>from :
>>http://www.lysator.liu.se/ or
>>ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/ident/servers
>>

>The ChangeLog of it says: Solaris 8 (including IPv6) support
>added.
>
>But I have a feeling it's better supported in the 3.1 test
>versions.

3.0.16's KNOWNBUGS file says this:

* In general - wait for Pidentd 3.1 befor using it with IPv6 systems.

Of course, using ident for any sort of security mechanism is not good
practice anyway, except possibly on the local host. Over a network it is
totally untrustworthy.

cheers

andrew