Re: RC2 will not make check on OSX 10.3 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John Griffiths
Subject Re: RC2 will not make check on OSX 10.3
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I am certainly not an expert in OSX, but many Unix variants have to
have the changes made in the conf directories; then the kernel has to
be rebuilt AND the environment rebuilt. It is not a one step process on
all Unix variants. I don't know for sure, but rebuilding the
environment after making the changes to the files in the conf
directories may rebuild the rc files.

John

Theodore Petrosky wrote:
 type="cite">
  Neil,

I posted to the apple site asking if anyone could
recommend the 'correct' place to edit these settings.
I don't think a change like this would survive a
system update.....

But it was the only way I got the settings to 'take'.

It deserves to be mentioned in the docs that this is
necessary at least as far as 10.3.1 (osx).

Ted

--- Neil Conway <a
 class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:neilc@samurai.com"><neilc@samurai.com> wrote:

    Theodore Petrosky <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
 href="mailto:tedpet5@yahoo.com"><tedpet5@yahoo.com> writes:

      After about two hours of hunting pecking and

    anything

      else I found where you control this in OSX 10.3

you must edit the /etc/rc  file.

  /System/Library/StartupItems/SystemTuning/SystemTuning

        does nothing....

    Should we update the documentation's advice? At
present, it suggests:

MacOS X

    Edit the file

  /System/Library/StartupItems/SystemTuning/SystemTuning

    and change the following values:

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall

(Without a Mac OSX box, I have no idea which is
correct.)

-Neil