Re: Performance features the 4th - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Performance features the 4th
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:

> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>> This patch contains the "still not yet ready" performance improvements
>> discussed over the couple last days.
>
> Cool stuff!
>
>> The buffer replacement strategy is a slightly modified version of
>> ARC.
>
> BTW Jan, I got your message about taking a look at the ARC code; I'm
> really busy at the moment, but I'll definitely take a look at it when
> I get a chance.
>
>> I personally would like to see this work included in a 7.4.x
>> release.
>
> Personally, I can't see any circumstance under which I would view this
> as appropriate for integration into the 7.4 branch -- the changes this
> patch introduces are pretty fundamental to the system; even with
> testing I'd rather not see a stable release series potentially
> destabilized. Furthermore, it's not as if these performance issues
> have been recently discovered: we've been aware of most of them for at
> least one or two prior releases (if not much longer).

There are many aspects to this, and a full consensus will probably not
be reachable.

As a matter of fact, people who have performance problems are likely to
be the same who have upgrade problems. And as Gaetano pointed out
correctly, we will see wildforms with one or the other feature applied.

My opinion is that it is best for us as supporters and for the
reputation of PostgreSQL to try to keep the number of wildforms as small
as possible and to provide those features applied in the best possible
quality.

Jan