Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manfred Spraul
Subject Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:

>>>I'm assuming fsync syncs writes issued by other processes on the same file,
>>>which isn't necessarily true though.
>>>

>>It was already pointed out that we can't rely on that assumption.
>>

>So the NetBSD and Sun developers I checked with both asserted fsync does in
>fact guarantee this. And SUSv2 seems to back them up:

At least Linux had one problem: fsync() syncs the inode to disk, but not
the directory entry: if you rename a file, open it, write to it, fsync,
and the computer crashes, then it's not guaranteed that the file rename
is on the disk.
I think only the old ext2 is affected, not the journaling filesystems.

--   Manfred