Re: [HACKERS] Autocomplete on Postgres7.4beta5 not working? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Autocomplete on Postgres7.4beta5 not working?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:48:59PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>AFAICT there was no discussion about this issue when the patch was
>>proposed and applied.  But now that the point is raised I have to say
>>that I don't like this change.  I don't think system catalogs should be
>>excluded from tab completion.  They never were before 7.4, and I have
>>not seen anyone complaining about that, other than Ian.
>
> I found it very irritating at first, but when I discovered that I could
> tab my way to syscatalogs by using "pg_catalog." as prefix, I started
> feeling it was actually a nice behavior.

I found it similarly irritating at first, and it continues to irritate
me. But that may be because I use system tables more frequently than the
average Joe ;-)

I guess I'd be happy to see tab completion reinstated for system tables
(except toast tables as Tom suggested nearby), but I don't feel
particularly zealous about it.

Joe