logging messages this time - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Eric S. Johansson
Subject logging messages this time
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'd like to thank folks who helped me with the authentication problem I
had earlier.  I may have been asking the wrong question about, as they
say, learning is never wasted.  Now in order to keep from asking the
wrong question again, I'm trying to get logging working so I can observe
more closely what is failing and make a more appropriate diagnosis.

I went to the administrative manual and found the documentation on the
various logging options.  It seems like what I want (diagnostic logging
of traffic) would be had by the following settings in postgresql.conf:

server_min_messages = info      # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                                 #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
                                 #   info, notice, warning, error, log,
fatal,
                                 #   panic
client_min_messages = notice    # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                                 #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
                                 #   log, info, notice, warning, error
silent_mode = false

log_connections = true
log_pid = false
log_statement = true
log_duration = false
#log_timestamp = false

#log_min_error_statement = error # Values in order of increasing severity:

and....

syslog = 2                      # range 0-2
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'

when I run my tests, all I get in /var/log/messages is:

Oct 28 16:33:03 relay2 su(pam_unix)[2124]: session opened for user
postgres by (uid=0)
Oct 28 16:33:03 relay2 postgres[2163]: [1] LOG:  database system was
shut down at 2003-10-28 16:33:02 EST
Oct 28 16:33:03 relay2 postgres[2163]: [2] LOG:  checkpoint record is at
0/87F348
Oct 28 16:33:03 relay2 postgres[2163]: [3] LOG:  redo record is at
0/87F348; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown T
UE
Oct 28 16:33:03 relay2 postgres[2163]: [4] LOG:  next transaction id:
737; next oid: 17010
Oct 28 16:33:03 relay2 su(pam_unix)[2124]: session closed for user postgres
Oct 28 16:33:03 relay2 postgres[2163]: [5] LOG:  database system is ready
Oct 28 16:33:04 relay2 postgresql: Starting postgresql service:  succeeded

which looks like the basic startup transaction from the startup script.
  When I run the application (horde/turba) I get nothing further out of
the log.  obviously, there's an understanding gap.  Whatever feedback I
get, I will try to turn into a summary that could be used as part of the
documentation if you should want it.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears