Re: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alexander Priem wrote:
> Dell PowerEdge 1750 machine with Intel Xeon CPU at 3 GHz and 4 GB of RAM.
> This machine will contain a PERC4/Di RAID controller with 128MB of battery
> backed cache memory. The O/S and logfiles will be placed on a RAID-1 setup
> of two 36Gb SCSI-U320 drives (15.000rpm). Database data will be placed on a
> Dell PowerVault 220S rack-module containing six 36Gb SCSI-U320 drives
> (15.000rpm) in a RAID-10 setup. This PowerVault will be connected to the DB
> server via a SCSI cable...
> This machine will be a bit more expensive than I thought at first (it's
> going to be about EUR 14.000, but that's including 3 years of on-site
> support from Dell (24x7, 4-hour response) and peripherals like UPS etc...

Check opteron as well.. I don't know much about european resellers. IBM sells
eserver 325 which has opterons. Apparently they scale much better at higher
load. Of course pricing,availability and support are most important.

http://theregister.co.uk/content/61/33378.html
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/eserver/opteron/325/

Any concrete benchmarks for postgresql w.r.t xeons and opterons? A collection
would be nice to have..:-)

  Shridhar