Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Unihost Web Hosting
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi John,

I've been thinking about this for sometime, since a couple of my
associates are looking to build a commercial app based around JDBC.  The
difficulty came when we looked at redistributing a MySQL JDBC driver
.jar with the application.  From what I can tell, since you distribute
the JDBC driver they assume that somewhere it's going to be used with a
MySQL server and therefore requires licensing.  It wasn't exactly clear
IMHO or straightforward.  So they've decided to go with PG only for the
time being, which makes running the server on Windows a little more
difficult, but who wants to run windows anyway!

As far as speed goes, I think that there isn't enough in it anymore to
comment about.  Sure MySQL is faster in XYZ scenario, but PG is faster
in ABC scenario, swings and roundabouts.  IMHO the only place where
MySQL has a clear advantage is the fact that it replicates right out of
the box, with very little difficulty (see my earlier post today) and is
quite robust.

Just my 2 Cents

Cheers

T.