Replication Bundled with Main Source. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Unihost Web Hosting
Subject Replication Bundled with Main Source.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

Firstly I've gotta say that I think that PostgreSQL is one of the finest
OSS projects out there and full credit to all of those involved.

After talking to a couple of other consultants who use Pg, and fully
encourage their clients in the enterprise that Pg is a perfectly viable
solution for a variety of scenarios, the question seems to crop up quite
often: "What About Replication?".  Whilst I understand that the eRServer
project is a fine project, and more than capable, and rapidly reaching
the point of having minimal bugginess, I have to wonder why there is no
talk of including replication capability within the main source tree.
After all in todays RDMS arena, it would seem almost like it is an after
thought, as CTOs expect replication to be a feature of the server,
rather than seeming to be an afterthought.  Almost like having an
transactional engine bolted on after the fact.

Are there likely to be any plans to integrate a replication engine into
the main code which could be switchable at compile time
'--with-replication'  for instance.  I beleive that this would encourage
acceptance within the corporate environment and lead to a more
well-rounded offering.

Just my 2 cents (or tuppence-ha'penny for those in blighty)

Regards

Tony