Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the future - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Andrew Ayers
Subject Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the future
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Amanjit Gill wrote:
> Hi,
> this might be actually offtopic, but its always time to fight FUD  :-)
>

>>Microsoft will be doing away with the OLEDB to ODBC bridge in the near
>>future.
>

> Funny enough if I use __Microsoft__ SQL Query Analyzer which directly
> connects to SQL Servers and somehow shut the SQL Server down while a query
> running
> I get the following message (german):
> Server: Nachr.-Nr. 17, Schweregrad 16, Status 1, Zeile 0
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]SQL Server existiert nicht
> oder Zugriff verweigert.
> Server: Nachr.-Nr. 2, Schweregrad 16, Status 1, Zeile 0
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen
> (Connect()).
>
> Which means Microsoft uses ODBC itself for its internal DB Access with SQL
> Query Analyzer, and NOT OLE DB.

Hmm - this is confusing. Microsoft doesn't seem to be saying that ODBC
is going away, only the OLE DB (DAO, ADO) to ODBC bridge was being
deprecated - right?

This "move" by M$ may leave many developers who use VB and/or Access as
a front end to third-party back-end products (such as PostgreSQL) "in
the lurch" - unless someone else comes up with a way to work around this.

I just converted a major application from DAO to ADO (in VB) - thinking
it was going to be there for a while. What irritates me is that in none
of the documentation on Microsoft's web site about ADO, that I
referenced did they indicate that using ADO and ODBC might somehow be
changing (a link to that document that was posted would have helped) -
which may have changed my decision or development effort.

I can tell you that right now, finding out this (whatever the truth) -
it is changing my development direction rapidly: I am urging my
supervisor that we need to develop our application using something akin
to LAMP (with the 'M' being PG instead of that "other" DB).

Maybe one day I can say "bye-bye Microsoft" for my at-work development
(it is already this way at home).

Andrew Ayers
Phoenix, Arizona

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.