Re: Desktop integration - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Raphaël Enrici
Subject Re: Desktop integration
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>OK, I'd be interested to hear if you get something to work that might work
>on Slackware as well. I created a pgadmin3.desktop file and bunged it in
>/opt/kde3/share/applnk (off the top of my head), but it didn't work -
>contrary to what various docs on the net say. To be honest though, I
>haven't given it any serious investigation yet.
>Reards, Dave

Hi Dave,
beta2 build is ok for i386 :)

My pgadmin3.desktop looks like this:
<---------cut here----------------->
[Desktop Entry]
Name=pgadmin3
Comment=PostgreSQL Tools
Icon=pgadmin3.xpm
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Exec=pgadmin3
Categories=Application;
<---------cut here----------------->
(It would be nice to "localize" this file.)

In Debian, I put this file in two locations:
/usr/share/applnk/Applications/   for kde
/usr/share/gnome/apps/Applications/ for gnome
These two directories are the "old" way to do the job, but what is
described on freedesktop does not work for me (we should normally put
pgadmin3.desktop in /usr/share/applications and that's all...)
pgAdmin3 then appears in Applications->Misc (because there is no native
Databases section in the panel)  in gnome panel and in Applications in kde.
The "Categories" part of the file is specified by freedesktop
(www.freedesktop.org) as I understood and there is no "Databases"
section (you can have a look to registered categories at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/0.5-onehtml/#category-registry
)

I'll tell you if I find a better way of handling this.

Cheers,

Raphaël