7.4beta2 initdb Fix - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Database Administrator
Subject 7.4beta2 initdb Fix
Date
List pgsql-patches
I found some trouble in installing PostgreSQL 7.4beta2 on Mac OS X
10.2.6. Specifically, on that operating system, the new script
calculates shared-buffers at 400 and max-connections at 20. The problem
is that once you get to the point in the script where template1 is being
created, the calls to "postgres -boot ..." appear to still assume a
"best case" scenario of 1000 and 100, respectively, a situation that
repeats itself throughout the rest of the script. This causes a failure
of initdb on platforms where 1000 and 100 exceed the OS' capability.

I therefore applied the following change, which allowed initdb to work
without problem. I am not sure that this is in the appropriate format.
If not, my apologies.

[share]$ diff ~/src/postgresql-7.4beta2/src/bin/initdb /opt/pgsql/bin/initdb
610a611,612
> PGSQL_OPT="$PGSQL_OPT -c shared-buffers=$nbuffers -c
max-connections=$nconns"

- Will

--
Database Administrator, vilaj.com, LLC