Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 26 Aug 2003 at 9:15, Al Hulaton wrote:

> After seeing this article yesterday, I did a bit of research. One _big_ reason
> why Sourceforge/VA/OSDN is moving over to IBM/Webshere/DB2 from PostgreSQL is
> the resulting product will be jointly marketed by Sourceforge and IBM's
> zillions of sales people. So not only will they get a shiny, new db, but
> backend revenue.
>
> "The companies will jointly market and sell the software as part of the
> commercial agreement. "-- 4th paragraph, last sentence.
> http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3668,a=30025,00.asp

<From vague memory somewhere from some article>

One of the technical reasons sourceforge went to DB2 was that DB2 had
clustering. Postgresql could not scale beyond single machine and on single
machine it had limitations on scaling as well.

Note that this was done quite a while back. Today postgresql might be as
scalable as required by sourceforge but they needed it then and had to move.

</From vague memory somewhere from some article>

<rant>
However if DB clustering was the problem, personally I would have split the
data on two machines on two different databases and had an app consolidate that
data. The efforts in rewriting app. could have been well compensated for
performance hit sourceforge took immediately after the move.

But that's me..
<rant>

Bye
 Shridhar

--
There are always alternatives.        -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3