Re: The ..... worm - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Fraser
Subject Re: The ..... worm
Date
List pgsql-general
Running mozilla on linux and having my mail processed by postini,
_http://www.postini.com_, I haven't had any problems other that lots of
quarantined mail at postini. Having the mail quarantined off site saves
bandwith as well.

I work at an ISP and we use postini for all email that ends up on our
mail servers.

We used to run Spam Assassin for all our mail, but since we moved to
postini our bandwith savings have been great. I still have Spam Assassin
running for my account but postini is so good that I only get about 1%
of the UE {unsolicited email} that makes it through and Spam Assassin
usualy catches about half of the ones that make it through. In a week I
usaualy get about one UE to my inbox, 5 into my Spam Assassin mail box
and about 500 quarantined at postini. Now that I ahve my white lists
setup at postine I only get one or two legitimate messages captured per
week. I normaly get around 5000-10,000 messages a week, so the time
savings of having all UE quarantined off site where I can delete them
without downloading them save a lot of time and bandwidth.

I don't work for, or get kick backs for, Postini. They are worth while
looking into especialy for medium to large organizations, because they
keep their virus checkers and UE algorithms up to date and most large to
medium sized organizations can recoup their postini costs with their
savings in bandwidth, and lost productivity of staff having to download
and pick out the UE from the real mail, possibly getting infected by a
virus while doing so.

NOTE: I use UE so that Hormel {http://www.spam.com/} doesn't get upset
with me ;-)

Guy