Re: PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Al Hulaton
Subject Re: PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
U.Oeder wrote:

> Are there any future plans to actually make a Windows EXE for
> Postgre.SQL which I the basic user can download without me having to
> make the EXE on my platform ?

Right now, the only way to run community PostgreSQL on Windows is via
cygwin. As you know, cygwin is a unix emulation layer and like most
emulators, there is a performance penalty which is why most of the time
we see such PostgreSQL/cygwin deployments being used in light duty
servers or in development.

There are plans for community PostgreSQL to on Windows, as you'll see in
the link below. They estimate late 2003/early 2004. More info about that
here: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows

The link above also includes links to companies providing windows-native
versions of PostgreSQL.

Given the choice, however, I'd run PostgreSQL on a unix/linux box, but I
understand in some shops there is a hesitancy to install anything but
Microsoft Windows. Whatever the case, you have several options open to you.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Al Hulaton    |  Sr. Account Engineer  |  Command Prompt, Inc.
503.222.2783  |  ahulaton@commandprompt.com
Linux business hosting, PostgreSQL consulting and migration
Read and Search O'Reilly's 'Practical PostgreSQL' at
http://www.commandprompt.com