[Fwd: MySQL announces MaxDB as new name for SAP DB] - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Kaarel
Subject [Fwd: MySQL announces MaxDB as new name for SAP DB]
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I am forwarding this instead of providing a link because I am currently
unable to connect to www.mysql.com to get any other source for this
announcement.

Anyway, the business model of covering both needs - speed and features -
is great. However they now have officially two different databases to
manage. The only thing better than that approach is one database that is
fast *and* featurefull....can this be PostgreSQL?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     MySQL announces MaxDB as new name for SAP DB
Date:     Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:03:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:     Kaj Arnö <kaj@mysql.com>
To:     mysql@lists.mysql.com

Dear MySQL users,

The second press release about the partnership between MySQL and SAP is
out. We have now announced "MaxDB by MySQL" as the new name for SAP DB, as
well as some of the technical specifications for the first MaxDB release,
MaxDB 7.5, out Q4 2003.

What does this mean for you, the MySQL user?

First, the main consequence of the SAP partnership is the same as when we
announced it in the first place: you'll see the development of MySQL speed
up further. The SAP partnership provides MySQL AB with resources that
enables us to develop new features faster.

Second, if you need features which MySQL still lacks, we suggest that you
take a look at MaxDB. You'll probably find them there. MySQL AB will offer
databases that meet a wide range of application needs, whether you like
your database fast, stable and easy to use (as in MySQL), or whether you
like it enterprise-grade and feature-packed (as in MaxDB).

Third, it will now be easier for you to obtain approval from your
management and customers to use MySQL in mission-critical projects. SAP is
trusting MySQL AB with their database needs, so why shouldn't everyone?

Although the SAP partnership opens many doors for MySQL, some things will
not change. We will stay true to the three MySQL benefits that have taken
us where we are today:

- Performance: MySQL will not sacrifice speed for features
- Stability: MySQL will not accept bugs to make delivery dates
- Ease of use: MySQL will not introduce complexity beyond necessity

From a technical standpoint, we are working with SAP to deliver
MaxDB/MySQL interoperability that will make it possible to use MaxDB and
MySQL together.

MaxDB 7.5 will be able to communicate using the MySQL protocol, which
means that you can use the MySQL clients on it. A primary goal is to be
able to easily mysqldump data from MaxDB and pipe it into a mysql client
as input to MySQL -- as well as to mysqldump data from MySQL and pipe it
into a mysql client as input to MaxDB.

MaxDB 7.5 also aims at supporting MySQL replication. You can then use
MaxDB either as a master or as a slave to MySQL, by hooking it onto the
MySQL replication mechanism.

Since MaxDB is a name that is easily confused with MySQL Max, but
something entirely different (namely a renamed SAP DB with MySQL
interoperability on top), we will reconsider the naming of MySQL Max. We
haven't decided on that name, yet.

Over the next months, the sapdb.org website and functionality will move to
www.mysql.com, including mailing lists, documentation and download pages.
The MaxDB mailing lists will stay separate from the MySQL ones, as will
the documentation, but they will all be found at www.mysql.com.

Community-wise, we expect a lot of interaction between the MySQL community
and the MaxDB community (which still calls itself the SAP DB community)
once MaxDB is out. We hope MaxDB users venturing into the MySQL mailing
lists will be given a warm welcome, quite as we encourage MySQL users to
make friends with the MaxDB users on their mailing list, now still to be
found at http://sapdb.org/7.4/sap_db_mailinglist.htm .

To sum it up: the partnership with SAP will help us create a better MySQL
database faster, give you access to an enterprise-level database, and help
us all convince the world that open source creates great software!

Kaj
--
Are you certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/