Re: pga3 website - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: pga3 website
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
I don't believe it until I see it happening.

>>So there's a monopolization for D.P. at the moment for compiling the
>>releases...
>>

>Not really. You could get the Installer SDK from Microsoft (it's free),
>or Wise, Installshield or anything else that supports MSI. Most will
>open the MSI file directly, not requiring the Wise project file at all.

The pkg\win32 is tied to Wise now. AFAICS MS Installer seems to be *not*
free (I  believed that too, until I tried to locate it today, it's free
for "licensed customers of any VS6 Prof or Enterprise"), and VS6SP3 is a
prerequisite either. While running in a MS-only development world is
easy, we should provide non-MS ways too. Currently, using the MS
Installer SDK would be consistent since we still need MS to compile.
BTW, to anticipate Jean-Michel: a multi-language installation process
would be nice :-)

>Besides which, so what if I make the builds? I've done it for the last 6
>years anyway, and as Jean-Michel said quite recently, the installers I
>build are of good quality.

There's no doubt about the quality, just do it....

Regards,
Andreas