Re: Doubt w.r.t vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Doubt w.r.t vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28 Jul 2003 at 9:11, Doug McNaught wrote:

> "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just wondering over it. This is for difference between vacuum full and
> > vacuum analyze. Can somebody enlighten,
> >
> > 1. IIRC vacuum recovers/reuses dead tuples generated from update but can not do
> > so for delete? Why?
>
> YDNRC.

You did not read... C for what? Code?

> > 2. Vacuum full locks entire table, is it possible that it locks a
> > page at a time and deal with it. It will make vacuum full
> > non-blocking at the cost of letting it run for a longer time. Or is
> > it that the defragmentation algorithm needs more than a page?
>
> This I don't know, but I imagine that if what you suggest was easy to
> do it would have been done, and there would have been no need for two
> different kinds of VACUUM.

I went thr. the code, although vbery briefly but I can imagine that code being
dependent upon tons of other things. Didn't understand everything so left it as
it is..
ByeShridhar

--
Mix's Law:    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary building.    There is
nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.