Re: Trumpeting 7.4 ... or not? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
Subject Re: Trumpeting 7.4 ... or not?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:

>>By my reading, that leaves us without a single "sexy" feature in 7.4 that we
>>can sell to the press.   Not to say that there aren't a lot of *great*
>>features in 7.4 -- I personally know of 4 projects that are waiting for 7.4
>>to convert to PostgreSQL -- but they are all features that are difficult, if
>>not impossible, to explain to anyone who isn't a DBA or programmer.
>>
>>Further, we've made a point of saying "Windows in 7.4" and now it looks like
>>Windows will be coming somewhat later ... probably 7.5 in October.
>>
>>As such, I propose that we *not* do any press splash for 7.4.  Lets put it on
>>the web sites, but not make any other fuss about it.  Thoughts?
>>

>A major release is a major release, and i think it should be touted as
>such. 7.3 didn't have any "sexy" features (Schemas and Table Funcs were
>about the top) and yet it still got it's due.  The key is to point out
>what good things are coming for folks and to manage any unhappiness with
>what did not make it in.
>
>That said, lets wait till feature freeze so we can get a list of changes
>from -hackers before we debate the issue.

I tottaly agree, besides, there are lots of people waiting for this
features,
and sometimes there are people not in touch with the comunity that would
like to know that things such as PITR and nested transactions are ready.
And a press release about the 7.4 shows that the comunity is alive and
working hard, it makes the time between releases more consistent.

My regards,

--
Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br