Re: using sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Price
Subject Re: using sequences
Date
List pgsql-general

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> If you are trying to do this you probably don't really understand sequences.
> There aren't any common good reasons for trying to get the value of a sequence
> before you have generated a value in the current session.

It seems you're right that I dont understand them.  However, I don't
have any intent of calling it like this (without having generated a
value), rather, I was simply curious and playing around with the
commandline client, and following some instructions I had seen in
another post.  I didn't realize that it needed to be "activated" for the
current session.

Erik