Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Serge Rielau
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Jan 13, 2017, at 10:23 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have not clean feeling from this - I am pretty sure so I am afraid schizophrenic  between MODULES, SCHEMAS. Nested
schemasincrease complexity of searching complexity and breaks a logic database.schema.object
Yes my proposal to nest schemata is “radical” and this community is not falling into that camp.
But there is nothing holy about database.schema.object.attribute
.

> Currently almost all in PostgreSQL PL design is primitive, but that means pretty simple too.
We are having > 30,000 functions with a total of millions of lines of code.

You are describing a self fulfilling prophecy here.
As long as the community codebase only caters to its existing users you will not see a change in the usage pattern of
thebase.

> It is hard to see a advantages of this proposal.

At least I tried :-)

Serge