Increasing Shared Memory size, in order to increase shared buffer size - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Yusuf
Subject Increasing Shared Memory size, in order to increase shared buffer size
Date
List pgsql-admin
I want to increase the buffer size on my postgresql installation, in
order to improve the performance.

Now, when I execute top, on my FreeBSD system, the memory part shows:

Mem: 26M Active, 1062M Inact, 146M Wired, 199M Buf, 776M Free
Swap: 4080M Total, 8K Used, 4080M Free

The size of the database in PGDATA/base is 415 MB. I want to increase
the shared buffer size so that I could avoid swap pagein activities.

What should I increase the shared memory size of FreeBSD to be?  What
would be a good value for the shared buffer size?

Thanks in advance.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/