Re: Attribute must be GROUPed.... ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniele Orlandi
Subject Re: Attribute must be GROUPed.... ?
Date
Re: Attribute must be GROUPed.... ?  (David Walker <pgsql@grax.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> AFAIK it's a requirement of the SQL spec. (SQL92(draft) 7.9 SR 7, "each
> <column reference> in each <value expression> that references a column
> of T shall reference a grouping column or be specified within a <set
> function specification>."

I see... How should the "shall" term be considered ? I don't have much
knowledge of the SQL specs language.

How other DBMS behave in this case ? I know that mysql doesn't enforce
this requirement but... mysql is not a perfect reference wrt standards
compliance.

> Well, it'd mean you didn't have to put the extra columns in the group by
> list to make them grouping columns.

This is what I currently do as a workaround, but it's not much clean
expecially when you have many ungrouped fields in the target list.

Bye!

--  Daniele Orlandi Planet Srl