Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL  (Jason Earl <jason.earl@simplot.com>)
List pgsql-general
Most OS people screw things up between major revisions.

 From watching friends and also this list, the lesson is just what you stated:

Do a full system backup before any major revision changes in any software
whatsoever. It's saved my but once. I lost the entire registry in windows95
once. Fortunately, after doing a file compare, I found that was the only file
corrupted, and restored a 3 month old one. I had to reinstall a few programs and
delete the registry entries for some that were no longer resident. But it was
better than reinstalling EVERYTHING, including OS patches.

At the current moment, I keep a full harddrive backup of the harddrives in my
box on older machines. What to do with WinXP, i don't know yet. In fact, I don't
know how to do a drive copy with Linux either. something else to learn, I guess.