Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>
>>The scenario that's appealing to me the most is this for the next release:
>>PostgreSQL 8.0
>>+ Includes PITR and the Win32 port
>
> If the folks doing those things can get done in time, great.  I'm even
> willing to push out the release schedule (now, not later) to make it
> more likely they can get done.  What I'm not willing to do is define
> the release in terms of "it happens when these things are done".  We
> learned the folly of that approach in 7.1 and 7.2.  Setting a target
> date and sticking to it works *much* better.

Yep, we both seem to be saying that we'd like these features, but we
don't want to see them become delay-points.

>>+ Not sure where Satoshi is up to with his 2 phase commit proposal, but
>>that might make sense to incorporate into a wire protocol revision.
>
> I can't see any need for protocol-level support for such a thing.
> Why wouldn't it just be some more SQL commands?

Not sure.  It seems like 2PC will be required/desirable within the year
for better support of some clustering scenarios, so we "might as well
look at it now".  When I was reading Satoshi's stuff a while ago I
thought it was a protcol level thing, not a SQL command level thing, but
don't really care either way.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> (Not that I believe in 2PC as a real-world solution anyway, but that's
> a different argument...)
>
>             regards, tom lane

- Indira Gandhi