Re: Error codes revisited - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Error codes revisited
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christoph Haller wrote:
>>Given the repeatedly-asked-for functionalities (like error codes)
>>for which the stopper has been the long-threatened protocol revision,
>>I'd think it might be boring, but would hardly be thankless. Heck, I'd
>

>>expect a few whoops of joy around the lists.
>>

> Yes. Error codes would be great.

Particularly if they arrive in conjunction with Bruce's "Nested
Transaction" implementation. I image many people would like to
create a subtransaction, which, if it fails due to a unique key
violation, could recover and perform an update.

I'd personally like some way of mapping RI-related messages into  application-specific, perhaps localized, messages.
Errorcodes

will provide a nice starting point. Will the action and object
upon which the action is being attempted also be available?

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com