Re: analyze after a database restore? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: analyze after a database restore?
Date
Re: analyze after a database restore?
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>mlw <pgsql@mohawksoft.com> writes:
>

>>Should pg_dump appened an ANALYZE for each table?
>>

>A single ANALYZE at the end of the script would be sufficient.  I'm not
>sure that pg_dump should do this automatically though.  If you're not
>done restoring then it's mostly a waste of cycles, and how is pg_dump to
>know that?
>
>I do note that the docs are rather stingy with this important bit of
>knowhow :-(  Neither of the obvious places that I looked in (pg_dump
>reference page and admin guide's backup/restore chapter) mention the
>need to issue an ANALYZE after completing a restore.  I'm pretty sure it
>is mentioned *somewhere* ;-) ... but it needs to be more prominent.

While these are all comforting points, I *know* about analyze and I
occasionally forget. It just seems like a nessisary step after restoring
a backup. Conceptually, one could consider it just as important as an
index, i.e. the system will perform poorly without it.
From an "ease of use" perspective, it would be one less step.