Re: Passing arrays - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Guy Fraser
Subject Re: Passing arrays
Date
List pgsql-sql
Would it not be more reasonable to have array_dims return an int or int[]?

Has anyone ever seen an array that does not start at 1?

The other problem I find with array_dims returning text is when you have a
multi-dimentional array like this IIRC;

array_dims('{{asd,fgh,jkl},{zxc,vbn,mlk}}') = '[1:2][1:3]'

Which appears to mean that there the data is a 2 element array of a 3 element
array.

If the data was in an int array format like '{{1,2},{1,3}}' it would be dead
easy to get the dimentions of the array without messy text parsing. It would
be even better as '{2,3}' since a null element at the start of array is still
counted as an element so all arrays start from 1. A fairly simple function
could be made to "factor" all dimentions together to get a full sub_element
count, ie. 2x3 = 6 ... .

I think I will update my array_size function to handle this, but that means my
funtion has to deal with more messy text parsing to generate the int array for
multi dimentional arrays. I have up until now only been working with single
element arrays.

Here is an example of my array_size function for text arrays, I just tossed
this together from what I could remember, so it may not be exactly the same as
what I am using.

For V7.3 it should look somthing like this.

---%<...snip...
CREATE FUNCTION array_size(text[]) RETURNS int AS '
DECLARE  array ALIAS FOR $1;  dim int;
BEGIN  SELECT INTO dim    replace(split_part(array_dims(array),'':'',2),'']'','''')::int ;
-- that was the messy stuff    IF dim IS NULL    THEN      dim := 0 ;    END IF;  RETURN dim;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
---%<...snip...

For V7.2 it looked something like this, but it is more messy.

---%<...snip...
CREATE FUNCTION array_size(text[]) RETURNS int AS '
DECLARE  array ALIAS FOR $1;  dim int;
BEGIN  SELECT INTO dim    rtrim(ltrim(ltrim(array_dims($1),''[012345679''),'':''),'']'')::int ;
-- that was the messy stuff    IF dim IS NULL    THEN      dim := 0 ;    END IF;  RETURN dim;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
---%<...snip...

I dropped these into a test DB, created test table and they do work so, here
are the results:

select *,array_size(destination) from size_test;
   alias   |        destination        | array_size
{dest2,dest1}            |          2 alias3    | {dest3,dest4}             |          2 alias4    |
{dest3,dest4,dest5}      |          3 alias5    | {dest6,dest7}             |          2 alias6    |
{dest3,dest7,dest4,dest5}|          4 alias7    |                           |          0

I hope that this helps. You can over load the function by creating more of the
same function but using different array types for the input.

IE. array_size(int[]) instead of array_size(text[]).

Guy