Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Bierman wrote:

> At 12:31 AM -0500 2/13/03, mlw wrote:
>
>> The idea that a, more or less, arbitrary data location determines the
>> database configuration is wrong. It should be obvious to any
>> administrator that a configuration file location which controls the
>> server is the "right" way to do it.
>

> Isn't the database data itself a rather significant portion of the
> 'configuration' of the database?
>
> What do you gain by having the postmaster config and the database data
> live in different locations?

While I don't like to use another product as an example, I think amongst
the number of things Oracle does right is that it has a fairly standard
way for an admin to find everything. All one needs to do is find the
"ORACLE_HOME" directory, and everything can be found from there.

If, assume, PostgreSQL worked like every other system. It would have
either an entry in /etc or some other directory specified by configure.

Somene please tell me how what I'm proposing differs from things like
sendmail, named, or anyother standards based UNIX server?