Re: how to configure my new server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: how to configure my new server
Date
List pgsql-performance
scott.marlowe wrote:

>The problem was that all three drives were good.  He moved the server,
>cable came half off, the card marked the drives as bad, and wouldn't
>accept them back until it had formatted them.  This wasn't the first time
>I'd seen this kind of problem with RAID controllers either, as it had
>happened to me in testing one a few years earlier.  Which is one of the
>many life experiences that makes me like backups so much.

Ok, had this  kind of problems too. Everytime you stop and start a
server, rest a second and say a little prayer :-) 80 % of HDs I've seen
dying didn't start again after a regular maintenance power down. Or a
controller finds some disk to be faulty for some nonreproduceable
reason, until you kick the disk out of the array and rebuild it. Bad
surprise, if TWO disks are considered bad. Stop and start again, and say
a real GOOD prayer, then get out the backup tape...

I had this especially with Adaptec controllers. I had to learn they
cannot build reliable RAID, and they don't know what maintenance of
products is either (three generations of AAA controllers in two years,
all being incompatible, only partial supported for new OS. I'm cured!)
Some years ago they bought PMD, which is a lot better.

Andreas